Monday, August 8, 2011

The Star, the Star Maker, and the Scripted Universe

Sometimes concepts are so tough to wrap your mind around, you need science fiction metaphors to do the work for you. Such is the theological conundrum of a god so powerful that it overwhelms its universe. And such is my problem with the Judeo-Christian model of a god. Wouldn't an all-powerful, all-knowing god automatically run everything in its universe? The short, one-word answer is a resounding YES!

And this essay is my very long answer to the same question. When I read Arthur C. Clarke's short story "The Star" and Olaf Stapledon's landmark novel, "Star Maker," I realized exactly what was wrong with "Christendom's" concept of God. In short, the Scripted Universe. One of the genuinely creepiest concepts human beings have ever come up with. Think of what I describe in this essay as modern science's updated version of the ancient Greeks' concept of Fate. [shudder]

No comments:

Post a Comment